Thursday, April 1, 2010

Florida here we come

Martin and I have friends who go to Clearwater, Florida every winter and have just bought a condo.  We'd never even discussed it but in a matter of few days we went and bought one too.  I'm finding myself wanting to rush summer to go and try it out:)
While we were there I promised Merle I would teach her how to make socks.  We cast on a baby sock and got right to it.  Before I left she had cast on a sock for herself.  She has now started the heel flap and I've been knitting a sock to catch up to her so I could take pictures. 
It's really too bad I don't have a live in photographer as taking a picture of oneself knitting is rather difficult.

Ok Merle these pictures are for you:) 
Click on picture to make larger.

This is the worst picture of the bunch, sorry.  Slip 1st stitch purlwise on public side of knitting.  The yarn is behind.
Picture #2, slipping the 1st stitch purlwise on the private side.  You can see the yarn is in the front. Another way to get the yarn in front is to use your working needle to move the yarn to the front.  If you somehow make a stitch you can just knit it together with the next stitch. 

I have finished heel flap and have turned the heel.  I'm showing the 1st part of the stitch to be  picked up, the 2nd loop is hidden behind my finger.
Out of order sorry, this one shows you the gap when turning the heel.  I've got the 1st stitch of the k 2 together and the gap and the 2nd stitch that when executing the k2tog will close up the gap.
I'm showing you the wrong side so that you can see the two loops that you need to pick up.  Often you will have to turn the knitting slightly so that you can see the loops.
The first stitch on the working needle is the extra stitch that I picked up so there would not be any holes when you get back to knitting in the round.  You are in the process of getting back into the round.  The 2nd is in the process of being picked up and you can see the 2 loops clearly.
This picture shows after you have picked up the stitches on the 2nd side and you have knitted half of the stitches of the turned heel.  Now place a marker, this is the start of the round from here on in.
What I'm trying to show you here is that the sole stitches are all on one needle.
The back view which clearly shows that the instep stitches are on one needle.  The majic loops are between the instep stitches and the sole stitches, never shall the twain meet. 

No comments: