Sunday, June 29, 2008

Semi-Solid Why do I love thee???

I forgot to mention in yesterday's post why I like Sundara's Yarn so much. Self-Striping yarn is all the rage but it's very hard to find patterns that compliment it except plain socks. Now I have nothing against mindless knitting:
1) you can watch TV and knit
2) you can talk on the phone
3) you can ride your bike while knitting:)
And the list goes on.....
When we travel I take too many projects. Some of them don't even come out of their bag. I take at least one mindless project so I don't have to count stitches and rows while I'm talking. And of course never do as much knitting as I think I should. But you must always be prepared....
With a semi solid yarn you can do intricate stitch patterns that show up beautifully. There are designers out there who are churning out patterns for self patterning yarns.
Suzi's Knits is one. Go look, she has some gorgeous patterns. There are at least 3 that I will probably purchase at some time.
Cookie A's patterns are to die for. She does use some self patterning yarns but they are subtle. She has a few free patterns on Knitty. I think her most famous sock pattern is Monkey which you can find on Knitty. Monkey is on my list of to do patterns.
Archiknist also has some very nice patterns. I don't know her real name, key hole socks is also on my to do list.
Since joining Ravelry I've found even more free patterns. Really you don't need to buy any if you're trying to save your money for sock yarn:)
The Yarn Harlot says you don't count "Sock Yarn" as part of your stash:)
I think Stephanie is one smart lady:)

No comments: