Saturday, April 19, 2008

Cat Bordhi is a genius

My friend Wendy invited me to go with her to the Kitchener Craft Fair last fall. I was tickled and happily accepted. Wendy had already lent me her copy of Cat's "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles". While we were at the Craft Fair I bought "A Treasury of Magical Knitting" and "A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting". Wendy introduced me to her friend Sharon who helped me with the cast on for the mobieus. I really found Cat's instructions for the cast on very difficult to understand. Sharon got me going. Well to make a long story short I ran out of yarn and trashed it. I would have had to wait a couple of weeks to get the right dye lot, not too patient me:). Shortly after that "New Pathways for Sock Knitters" was published and I ordered it posthaste. I was in awe, her brain moves in different ways, hooked I was. I tend not to dive right in, I read and reread until hopefully I understand. Fortunately for me I'd been searching for the perfect sock and found lots of information on the Internet. I don't really like short row heels but do like to start the sock toe up and I like the look of the reinforced heel and think it wears better in the long run. I have never in my life blocked a sock and it seems that everyone is doing it. After trying to get a picture of my finished Marie Antoinette last night I think I'm going to have to start blocking them. I think I'll order me some sock blockers from here. Check out their Sock Hop Yarn, I'm waiting for an order.



These are "Ocean Toes", I really enjoyed knitting these. I made them out of Fleece Artist Seacell which I bought at Colorsong Yarn.








These are the "Milkmaid Stockings", made from Blue Sky Alpacas in Alpaca Silk bought from here. These were also a delight to knit, never got bored knitting these. I need to block them so the rolled edging looks better. The cast on is done on the two circular needles and then you bring up the edge and knit 2 together. It really looks nice. You have to graft the two ends together.



The date for the 2008 Kitchener/Waterloo Knitting Fair is September 13th.
That's it for me today. The sun is shining and lots of work to do, not knitting:(

No comments: